Vegetable oils are an essential part of cooking. As the demand for food transport is increasing so is the demand for the vegetable oils, mainly – coconut, palm, and olive oil. Over 5 billion pounds of vegetable oil is imported to the US alone. Transporting oil is not easy. While there are multiple options available including drums, IBCs, and pre-packaged bottles, all of these are not so efficient and are becoming costlier. Taking the space and cost efficiency into account vegetable oil shippers are now increasingly relying on food grade flexitanks for transporting vegetable oil safely and efficiently.
Laws Concerning Transport of Vegetable Oil
The United Nations has established rules for vegetable oil transport to safeguard marine wildlife in case of an accident that disperses the oils. The laws specify how a ship needs to be built to ensure safe and secure carrying of vegetable oil, placement of the oil, and type of the material they can be carried in. The laws allow the use of flexitanks to carry vegetable oil, with a caveat that these need to be stored in an appropriate space in the ship.
While flexitanks comply with the UNs regulations, these are much preferred by shippers too as these help to maintain the structural integrity of the oil even under duress and also help to retain the taste of the product.
Advantages of Using Flexitanks for Transporting Vegetable Oils
Flexitanks are specifically designed for transporting bulk liquids. These bladder bags are made of rubber, nylon, plastic or polyethylene and can hold 25 tons of liquid. Discussed here are some advantages of flexitanks that make them so useful for transporting vegetable oil.
- Keeps the quality intact – To make them waterproof and airproof, flexitanks are made of several layers, each containing pumps and valves to seal off water and air. This ensures that the vegetable oil is transported safely and uncontaminated.
- Food grade flexitanks are available – Food grade flexitanks are also available. All the components of such bags are approved by the FDA. So, you can safely transport food-grade liquid products in such bags.
Read more: The Many Advantages of Using Flexitanks
- Convenient storage – The flexible bladders make for great convenience when it comes to storage. Shipping of flexitanks can be easily conducted via car, truck, or sea.
- More efficient – As compared to standard liquid containers, flexitanks can accommodate 40% more vegetable oil.
- No cleaning cost – As flexitanks are designed for single use this does away with the cost and the hassle of cleaning and repair. Return freight, as may be there in the case of tank containers, is also avoided when using the disposable flexitank. Also, as the flexitanks are recyclable, these are eco-friendly too.
- Convenient loading and unloading – Flexitanks are much faster to load and unload making them more convenient and efficient as compared to IBC totes, or drums.
- Saves cost – Cost efficiency is one of the key reasons for the popularity of flexitanks amongst shippers. Compared to traditional means, the cost of using flexitank is three times less. Also, there is no need for additional storage when using flexitanks as these bulk bags are a storage unit in themselves.
Related: Using Flexitanks for Oil Transport
Flexitanks have emerged as the most efficient and cost-friendly solution for bulk liquid transportation and shippers are increasingly using them for transporting vegetable oil. At Rishi FIBC, we offer advanced and customized solutions for food grade flexitanks for transporting vegetable oils and other bulk liquid cargo including syrups, additives, juices or juice concentrates, sweeteners, wines, edible oils, agricultural oils, vegetable oils, mechanical/technical oils animal oils, and food additions.
We appreciate your feedback and you can leave your comments on the blog below.
Contact Us: +91 484 237951 / +91-2662-305000